Saturday 9 January 2016

News from another Prisoner of War



Prisoners of War in Germany [Beds Times]
(Lance-Corporal Austin, 1st Bedfords, marked with a cross)

Sunday 9th January 1916: We heard recently that officers of the Bedfordshire Regiment who are incarcerated in a German Prisoner of War camp had a much better Christmas this year.  Things have also been much better for other ranks who were taken prisoner in 1914. Private Albert Freeman of Beeston, who was taken prisoner while serving with the 1st Bedfords, writes from Wittenberg Prison Camp:
“I must tell you I have had a much better Christmas this year. Mrs Cope and Mrs Darnell of Beeston, sent me a nice parcel containing a pudding and cake and other dainties, so with your parcel and mother’s I had plenty of food. I also saved nearly all father’s nuts so you may guess I have had a good blow out. Aunt Clara sent me a parcel containing a scarf which she made, with other goodies, and other friends have sent me parcels who are perfect strangers to me. I also received the underclothing from Biggleswade, so you will see I have plenty of clothing. I am going to ask you not to make me too expensive parcels, I know I am a big cost to you, but one day I hope to repay all this. You have asked me many times what I require, you may send me a little pepper and mustard”.
Source: Biggleswade Chronicle, 4th February 1916

No comments:

Post a Comment